โ€ข
Published April 26, 2022

Plea Disagreement in Murder Case

Written by
Kim Fundingsland
| The Dakotan
โ€ข
Erik Rod, 43, Minot, is scheduled to be sentenced on July 15 after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the death of his wife, Connie Rod. He is being held in the Ward County Jail. [Photo: Kim Fundingsland/The Dakotan]
Erik Rod, 43, Minot, is scheduled to be sentenced on July 15 after pleading guilty to manslaughter in the death of his wife, Connie Rod. He is being held in the Ward County Jail. [Photo: Kim Fundingsland/The Dakotan]

MINOT โ€” A plea agreement brokered by the Ward County Stateโ€™s Attorneyโ€™s office goes against the wishes of the family of slain Connie Rod, Minot, says Rodโ€™s former husband.

Daniel Tyler, Minot, had three daughters while married to Connie Rod. The daughters were 15, 13, and 11 years old when their mother was shot in her home on May 21, 2020. She died in a Minot hospital four days later.

Four months later police arrested Rodโ€™s husband, Erik Rod, charging him with AA felony murder and a C felony of reckless endangerment. Erik Rod pled guilty to a lesser plea of manslaughter earlier this month after being made the offer by the Stateโ€™s Attorneyโ€™s office.

โ€œThey just offered him a deal he canโ€™t refuse,โ€ said Tyler. โ€œWe didnโ€™t even find out that there was even a plea offered until we found out through the news.โ€

Tyler, a former detective in Plano, Texas with 22 years in law enforcement, says a โ€œmain aggravationโ€ is that attorneys handling the case failed to โ€œinform the girls through me,โ€ which he says is required.

โ€œI am the representative of my children. They are minor children,โ€ stated Tyler. โ€œThe girls all feel that five years is not enough for their motherโ€™s life.โ€

The original charge of murder-extreme indifference, carried with it the possibility of a life sentence. Manslaughter has a maximum sentence of 10 years. The Stateโ€™s Attorney is asking that Erik Rod serve five years.

โ€œItโ€™s an insulting plea offer,โ€ said Tyler. โ€œI understand why they didnโ€™t bother talking to us about it, because we would have told them hell no.โ€

Erik Rod pled guilty to the manslaughter charge in front of Judge Gary Lee on April 20, but Lee delayed sentencing until July 15. Rod must serve a minimum of four years since the crime involved a firearm, but Lee has the option of sentencing him for up to the full ten years allowed by law.

Tyler maintains the Stateโ€™s Attorneyโ€™s office assured family members for 18 months that murder was the appropriate charge, and the case was bound for trial. Then came what he says was a surprise plea agreement.

โ€œThey said they talked to Connieโ€™s parents, and they agreed to manslaughter. Thatโ€™s just not true,โ€ said Tyler. โ€œWhat they really did was talk in circles and use some jargon, have him plead to a 10 to 5. Connieโ€™s parents assumed that meant 10 years for murder and five years for child endangerment.โ€

Was the plea agreement a result of family members deciding that they didnโ€™t want to relive the fatal shooting in a courtroom?

โ€œNo. There's no basis for that at all. Absolutely not,โ€ stated Tyler. โ€˜In fact, it was the exact opposite of that. Paul (Connieโ€™s father) told them exclusively to take it to trial.โ€

During the change of plea hearing Leah Viste of the Stateโ€™s Attorneyโ€™s office told the court of the problems with proving Erik Rod was guilty of murder.

The Dakotan reached out to the Stateโ€™s Attorneyโ€™s office for comment on the matter but has not received a reply.

kim.fundingsland@mydakotan.com
Stay connected to the latest news
Subscription Form (#3)

About the Author

Trending Now
The Dakotan Newsletter
Subscribe to get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox
Newsletter Form (#4)
ยฉ AndMuse, LLC 2025 Login Email
LIVE: 2022 Minot Mayoral Forum
Click to Watch Live
cross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram