Published November 23, 2021

Kitchen Grease Fire Damages Duplex in NW Minot

Written by
The Dakotan
| The Dakotan
Minot Fire Station No. 2 [Photo: Greg Demme/The Dakotan]
Minot Fire Station No. 2 [Photo: Greg Demme/The Dakotan]

Minot Fire Department successfully battled a small kitchen fire in northwest Minot Monday evening.

Crews were dispatched to 435 2nd Ave NW Minot at about 6 p.m. to extinguish a blaze caused by a stovetop grease fire. Firefighters watched smoke billow from the door of the home and extinguished the fire within minutes of arriving.

Crews ventilated the home after smothering the flames and secured area. No occupants or firefighters were harmed.

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, in 2019, cooking fires contributed to about 50% of residential fires in the U.S. It is best to not use water to fight grease fires, and residents should always keep a fire extinguisher within the home. Covering the flame with a lid or using baking soda to smother the fire are also effective methods. It is still best to dial 9-1-1 while experiencing any in home fires.

Crews from all four Minot Fire Department Stations were dispatched to the home. The first engine was on scene within two minutes and thirty seconds of the call.

Stay connected to the latest news
Subscription Form (#3)

About the Author

Trending Now
The Dakotan Newsletter
Subscribe to get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox
Newsletter Form (#4)
© AndMuse, LLC 2024 Login Email
LIVE: 2022 Minot Mayoral Forum
Click to Watch Live
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram